Ganesh Chaturthi is just round the corner and we would love to show you the DIY for Lord Ganesha Idols using Clay. Something crafted out of your own hands will be the ultimate moment of happiness you will ever experience. So let’s begin with the steps for your beautifully crafted idol with steps shared by eCraftIndia Artisans -
The first and foremost things which you will need are some acrylic paints which you are comfortable with, some clay, depends on the size of the statue which you might want to make and some toothpicks.
And we’re good to go.
The next step will be to divide your clay into different body parts.
The next thing which you need to do is to fix the stomach to the base pedestal making the base flat and fixing the stomach on top. Now roll the legs as shown in the illustrated picture above.
- Flatten the base pedestal as you see a flat chapati or a roti and while fixing the stomach use a tooth pick so that it remains intact even after drying.
- Use water for places you see as dry since drying can make it permanent and so water it with a brush or whatever you like till the completion of the idol.
The next thing on the list which is the third step is the bending of the legs as shown in the illustration given above. Press on the top and curve the clay on the bottom making it into the shape of a leg.
Since the base of the pedestal has been fixed to the stomach with toothpicks, now we need to make the hands for Lord Ganesha.
- Twist the hands as shown here with the same width all over the hand and a bit pointed to the end.
- Now affix the head to the body with a toothpick and leave the hands to dry before fixing it on the body.
Now fix the hands to the side of the body with small toothpicks into two pieces and flatten the end part of the left side of the hand facing towards you and a small ball to keep on the right facing upwards.
Now fix the ears and trunk as shown in the figure.
- Roll the trunk as shown in the illustration and twist it towards the end
- Affix the ears to the side of the head with toothpicks.
- Gently press the ears and flatten them as shown above
- Make eyes, tusk and 3 tiers of head crown.
You’re almost done. The only thing which is left is the acrylic paints to be used of your choice, the image used above is just for illustration purposes and you can obviously use different variant of colors for the lord. Just make sure that you need to leave the idol to dry for at least a day or two and then apply paint on it or it may not get the actual colors needed.
Hope this helps. Thank you.