Dussehra is celebrated for several purposes and honored separately in several sectors of the Indian subcontinent. In the south, east, northeast, and some northern countries of India, Dussehra marks the conclusion of Durga Puja, memorizing demigoddess Durga's triumph over the buffalo incubus Mahishasur to rebuild and preserve dharma. In the north, middle and westernmost states, the carnival is synonymously called Vijayadashmi. In these sections, it denotes the conclusion of "Ramlila" and cherishes God Ram's winning over the Ravana. On the very same happening, Arjun solely decimated more than 1,000,000 warriors and beat all Kuru fighters including Bhishma, Drona, Ashwatthama, Karna, and Kripa, a notable instance of the success of ethic over sin. Alternatively, it signifies respect for one of the features of demigoddess Devi, such as goddess Durga or goddess Saraswati.
Dussehra or Vijayadashami festivities include cavalcades to a stream or seaside front that include leading clay sculptures of goddess Durga, goddess Lakshmi, goddess Saraswati, Lord Ganesha, and Lord Kartikeya, followed by song and hymns, after which the idols are submerged in the ocean for dismissal and goodbye. Subsequently, on Dussehra, overlooking models of Ravana, symbolizing evil, are smoked with fireworks, considering evil's end. This festival also commences the arrangements for Diwali, the significant festivity of lights, which is observed 20 days after Dussehra.
There are various whimsical tales following this festival of Dussehra. This day in a few parts of India implies the day on which Goddess Durga beheaded the rogue Mahishasura. That is why all the 9 avatars of Goddess Durga are magnified on the 9 days of Navaratri. It is also said that Goddess Durga when submerged in water with the followers who implies the withdrawal of Goddess Durga from the tangible world after sustaining Dharma.
In South India, the Dussehra festival chiefly, in Mysore, Karnataka is observed as the day while Chamundeshwari, another avatar of Goddess Durga destroyed demon Mahishasura. The complete city is decorated with colorful lanterns and polished wonderfully. In fact ceremonies of elephants that carry cavalcades of Goddess Chamundeshwari are also displayed everywhere in the town.
During Navratris, people keep fast for straight 9 days and it is said that this fast should totally be broken by eating something created out of gram flour. Fafda, being the most basic bite of the Gujaratis, it makes its way to each and every house on Dussehra. On the other hand, Jalebis are served beside it because they relish nice together! But, there is added reason for that, it is assumed that Lord Ram’s favorite dessert was ‘jalebi’, which is why it is served and eaten on Dussehra, the day on which he won and overcame the conflict over Ravan.
Gifts for Dussehra
We all manage to visit and gift our cherished ones when it is some occasion or festival. Dussehra celebrates the good and we all tend to give up all the bad and harsh feelings towards someone and start the relation afresh. And for new starts, it is always the best to do it by exchanging gifts. A list of gifts that can be given at the festival of Dussehra is listed below. These are just a few gifts listed but one can find even more on eCraftIndia just to have more options to choose and gift from:
- Handicraft items: One can gift handicraft items to each other. Buy the best handicraft online India and get a variety of options to choose from.
- Photo frames: Photo frames are an ideal gift option as it can be gifted to anyone or everyone and it would contain the memories alive forever.
- Pen holder: Everyone needs desk accessories that include a pen holder too. At eCraftIndia, find a pen holder of different types that even come with a business card holder and a table clock.
- Good luck gifts: Good luck gifts are the best gift options for your loved ones and close ones. Goodluck gifts consist of Om symbol, dreamcatcher, God idols, and many more.
- Idols and figurines: Ganesha idols, Buddha idols marks as a Goodluck gift always and would be a great gift option for your sister as well as your brother too. Buy god idols online from many options to choose from and gift.
- Table Clocks: Table clocks are the most useful as everyone needs them. They can be kept on the side table in the bedroom or on the study desk to keep track of the time.