Why is international women's day celebrated on the 8th of March every year?The most powerful International Women’s Day march took the position in Russia on March 8th, 1917. Thousands of Russian women carried to the roads of the capital, Petrograd, now comprehended as Saint Petersburg, to press the back of food deficiencies and World War I. It was this International Women’s Day march that enabled rapid the beginning of the Russian Revolution and directed to the conquering of the sovereign. This holiday has been observed on March 8th ever since, as it took position on February 23rd, 1917, on the then utilized Julian calendar, the counterpart of March 8th according to the Gregorian calendar.
Who started the women's day celebration?In the year 1910, August month, an International Socialist Women's Conference was organized to forego the public conference of the Socialist Second International in Copenhagen, Denmark. Motivated in part by the American socialists, German representatives Clara Zetkin, Kate Duncker and others suggested the stage up of a yearly Women's Day. In the year 1975, the United Nations celebrated women's day for the first time.
What color represents international women's day?Internationally, purple is accepted as a shade to indicate women’s day. The reason behind this is that the Women’s Social and Political Union in the UK initiated using purple, green, and white to represent women’s equivalency as far back as n the year 1908. Historically, purple was a shade that represented fairness and elegance, and currently, it is utilized to describe women. The color green is a symbol of hope. Today, purple is the color of International Women’s Day, and mixed with green symbolizes the feminist crusade.
Since when are themes followed for women's day?International women's day is celebrated with various themes every year. Starting from the year 1996 to 2021, each year various themes were kept when it came to celebrating women's day. Each theme had a meaning attached to it that helped women's rights and equality.
What is the theme for 2022 women's day?Each year, on international women's day there is a distinct theme, and this year, it is “Gender equality today for a sustainable tomorrow”, #BreakTheBias.
Bias, whether senseless or planned, can make it challenging for women to advance in their professions or even accept exemplary healthcare. Jessica Nordell, the writer of the book- The End of Bias, says regular happenings of gender discrimination such as women obtaining more nominal recognition in assorted workgroups reserve, making the so-called glass ceiling which witnesses far more occasional females in c-suites globally.
This year, International Women’s Day is encouraging everyone to “energetically call out gender discrimination, bigotry and stereotyping every time you notice it”.
How is the day celebrated throughout the world?International Women’s Day is observed as a nationwide break by nations across the world, with women usually delivering flowers and gifts. There are women's day occurrences in significant cities globally. On 8th March 1914, there was a women’s franchise parade in London, calling for women’s privilege to vote, at which high-profile campaigner Sylvia Pankhurst was suspended.
In 2001, the international womens day platform was established to reignite awareness for women's day, praise women’s accomplishments, and resume to contact for gender equality.
On the centennial in the year 2011, sitting US President Mr. Barack Obama summoned for March to be understood as Women’s History Month. He also said that "History shows that when women and girls have the key to prospect, communities are more appropriate, economies are more possible to thrive, and governments are more potential to suit the requirements of all their individuals.”
How to celebrate international women's day?There are several ways in which one can celebrate international women's day but the main motive should be to always respect, love, protect, and give equal rights to the women around you. Organizations are celebrating International women's day in an assortment of innovative ways, albeit slightly differently this year as social distancing actions are still extremely much in place near the globe.
Given below are a few ways in which you can make this year's women's day celebration memorable:
- If you are hosting this party in your workplace, then you can set up a lovely photo booth that focuses on women that are decorated with a beautiful wall hanging decorative items. Here, you can ask your staff members to click a photo and post it over social media, tagging your company. This will help spread your message for women's day.
- Arrange luncheons, dinners, or high tea parties for the female employees or friends and make them feel special about their existence that will surely help them in so many ways.
- You can also buy gifts for women online that consist of a variety of gift items that would relate to their daily activities as well as something related to the home decor which would always remind them of you.
- Arrange activities that the women would love to engage in or just simply give them off for the day so they could utilize it for the stuff that they wish to do. This way they will get a chance to clear their minds as well as enjoy the day by themselves, making them even more productive the next day.
- You can also send them "thank you notes" that would be a kind gesture along with beautiful womens wall paintings that would surely make them know how much they and their dedication and work are appreciated.
Further, International Women's Day is an event to honor the advancement made towards attaining gender equivalency and women's empowerment but even to critically deliberate on those actions and desire for a more significant acceleration towards gender equivalency worldwide. It is a day to identify the wonderful acts of women and to stand jointly, as a united squad, to promote gender equivalency around the globe.