One of the most influential spiritual teachers in history, the Buddha was the greatest mystic and sage of the East. Buddhism, currently the fourth-largest religion in the world, was established on the basis of his teachings, philosophy, and the Four Noble Truths. Despite the fact that India is home to many of these temples, with ancient God Idols. Here are 8 that you really must see. Look through it, then plan your schedule appropriately!
Pilgrimage Sites for Buddhist Tourists in India
Visitors to these Buddhist temples might have a spiritual journey there. And there's more. These temples may be found all across India, and some among them are even set in beautiful surroundings and Buddha Canvas Paintings. So, how about a religious pilgrimage journey in India?
Bihar's Mahabodhi Temple
For Buddhists, the most revered location is the Mahabodhi temple in Bihar, where Lord Buddha attained enlightenment while meditating beneath a Bodhi tree. In the third century B.C., Emperor Ashoka erected this as his first temple. In the fifth century, bricks were used to rebuild the temple. The main temple's 180-foot-tall pyramid construction features numerous designs etched on it, giving it a distinctive look. A yellow sandstone Buddha Statue is kept in a glass case at the temple. Next to the temple, a holy Bodhi tree is enclosed by a stone fence.
- 69 kilometers from Bihar
- From October through March is the best time to visit.
- Wear comfortable footwear and loose-fitting clothing when visiting Bodh Gaya. Before going inside the complex of temples, you must remove your shoes.
Uttar Pradesh's Sarnath
For Buddhist pilgrims seeking enlightenment, Varanasi's Sarnath temple is a popular visit. This location, Lord Buddha's first sermon place as an enlightened teacher. The Great Dhamek Stupa, Chaukhandi Stupa, Dharmarajika Stupa, Mulagandha Kuti Vihar, and other architectural marvels may be seen in the temple that Emperor Asoka constructed. All of these buildings attest to the significance that this location had when Buddhism was at its height.
- 10 kilometers from Varanasi
- From October through March is the best time to visit.
- Go advice: Varanasi and Sarnath are only a short distance apart, so you may easily travel there by plane, train, or bus before taking a cab or bus to get to Sarnath.
Kushinagar's Mahaparinirvana Temple
Mahaparinirvana Temple in Kushinagar, one of the greatest Buddhist sites in India, is well-known for housing a six-meter-long statue of the Sleeping Buddha. The idol represents the pinnacle of redemption attained by Lord Buddha before he ascended to heaven. The Blessing Buddha Statue, which is built of red sandstone and sits on a huge brick platform with four stone pillars at its corners, represents the position of the Lord Buddha just before his demise. The temple, a one-story structure built by Swami Haribala, a devotee of Lord Buddha, draws both local and international visitors.
- Time: 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, 7 days a week Mahaparinirvana Temple Dist.
- 650 m from the Kushinagar Centre.
- From November through February is the best time to visit.
- Travel Tip: For cheap transportation in Kushinagar, take buses or auto-rickshaws.
Dharamshala's complex of Dalai Lama temples
The Dalai Lama Temple is an elaborate, colorful, and alluring monastic complex that serves as the primary center of Tibetan Buddhism. There is also the Dalai Lama's residence. Here is where he preaches. A sizable Buddha statue is housed at the temple. Here, the chanting in the morning and evening are quite intriguing, and it's amazing to see the llamas going about their daily business. Also go to Namgyal Monastery and the Norbulingka Institute nearby.
- 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., 7 days a week
- 4 kilometers from Dharamshala
- From March through June is the best time to visit.
- Travel Tip: Long weekends are extremely congested, so plan your travel appropriately.
Dehradun's Mindrolling Monastery
One of the most well-liked Buddhist holy places in India is the Mindrolling Monastery. In the Dehradun district of Uttarakhand, it is adjacent to the Rajaji National Park. One of the main tourist attractions and a magnificent architectural wonder is the monastery's Buddha temple. The monastery is home to one of the most incredible and towering laughing buddha statues, at 107 feet tall.
- Summer hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Winter hours are 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- 7 days a week the monastery is open.
- 10 kilometers from the center of Dehradun
- ideal time to visit- April through June.
- Go advice: If you love taking pictures, you must travel with a camera to document the beautiful scenery. Keep some woolens close by because the area gets cold at night.
Madhya Pradesh's Sanchi Stupa
One of India's earliest stone monuments of Buddhist art and construction is the Sanchi stupa. Several of Lord Buddha's relics and Meditating Buddha Statue are kept in the building's huge hemispherical dome. The stupa has four elaborately carved entrances that face four distinct directions. Emperor Ashoka's wife and daughter oversaw the construction of the Sanchi stupa. The building's stunning design has earned it recognition as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Today, the location brings in thousands of tourists from both India and overseas.
- 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., 7 days a week
- Indians: INR 40 (per person) as the entry fee
- 600 INR for foreigners
- 48 kilometers from Bhopal
- From November through March is the best time to visit.
- Travel advice: To avoid lengthy lines at the ticket booth outside the complex, get your Sanchi Stupa admission tickets online.
Shravasti in Uttar Pradesh
An important place of pilgrimage for Buddhists or casual visitors is an ancient city that was one of the biggest during the Buddha's lifetime. Following his enlightenment, Buddha primarily stayed in Shravasti. The Buddha is said to have given off flames from the top of his body and water from the bottom during the Twin Miracle. Jetavana Monastery, Anathapindika and Angulimala Stupas, and Ananda Bodhi Tree are all noteworthy locations.
- 157 kilometers from Lucknow
- The best months to travel are September to November and February to April.
- Travel advice: To get to Shravasti conveniently, take a train to Balrampur Railway Station (19 km away), where you can then hire a taxi.
Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh
The second-largest Buddha monastery in the world and the largest in India is this one. One of the most well-liked Buddhist pilgrimage sites is Tawang Monastery, which is equally frequented by tourists, monks, and followers. The monastery is situated in a picturesque area of the Tawang valley at a height of 10,000 feet. Both the decorated large Buddha statue in the main hall and the sacred texts in the library are interesting to see. The monastery's architecture, furnishings, and murals are breathtaking, and it is incredibly serene of buddha water fountains and vibrantly coloured.
- Hours for the Tawang Monastery are 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, with Sundays off.
- 444 km from Guwahati
- Best Season: March through September
- Tezpur Airport (324 km) and Rangapara North Junction (320 km) are the closest options for air and train travelers. To get to Tawang from Guwahati, you can also take a taxi.
One of the earliest known republican cities was Vaishali in antiquity. Before achieving nirvana, the Buddha delivered his final sermon here. Following his renunciation, he began his spiritual training here, where he also received the first woman disciple into his order, Gautami. Pay your respects at the Coronation Pond, which holds the Buddha's ashes, and visit the Ashoka Pillar, which is close to the ruins of a brick buddha stupa where the final sermon was given.
- 47 kilometers from Patna
- From October to March- best time to visit.
- Travel advice: Avoid scheduling a trip between April and June as the region has very harsh summers.
The Rumtek Monastery in Gangtok
Rumtek Monastery, known for being the Dharma Chakra Center, is the political and spiritual hub of the Kagyu sect of Tibetan monasteries. The main temple is ornately painted and decorated, and there is a golden shrine honoring the Kagyu lineage's guru that is covered in jewels. It has some of the best architecture in the world as well as ancient artifacts and texts.
- 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM, 7 days a week
- 22 kilometers from Gangtok
- Ideal time is from September to June.
Dress appropriately and hire a guide to make the most of your time at the site.
You can buy Buddha Statue For Home Decoration online from eCraftIndia buddha collection.
FAQs (FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS)
Where in India is the most revered by Buddhists?
The most significant religious site and center for pilgrimage is Bodh Gaya, where the Mahabodhi Temple is home to what is thought to be the Bodhi Tree, under which Prince Siddhartha attained Nibbana and later became known as Gautama Buddha.
Which Buddhist temple is the most well-known?
The largest Buddhist temple in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Borobudur Temple is located in Magelang, Indonesia.
What city has the moniker "Land of Buddha"?
Siddhartha Gautama, the man who created Buddhism, was born in Lumbini, Nepal, making it a revered Buddhist place of worship. Around the most significant locations is an organized complex.
Which river goes by the name Buddha Ganga?
Hindus and Buddhists revere the Phalgu or Falgu river, which flows past Gaya in the Indian state of Bihar.
Which state holds the title of Buddhist capital?
Bihar is known as the "Birthplace of Buddhism."
Where did Buddha die?
A Buddha mandir in Kushinagar, India called the Parinirvana Stupa or Mahaparinirvana Temple is thought to be the final resting place of Buddhism's founder, Gautama Buddha.
Traveling to Buddhist pilgrimage sites, which include serene and lively monasteries, ancient sites, and stories about Buddha, will be a particularly satisfying experience to record in your travel journals. Other lovely Buddhist sites in India with Gautam Buddha Paintings worth visiting include Namdroling Monastery (Coorg), Spiti Valley (Himachal Pradesh), Leh Ladakh (Jammu and Kashmir), and Rajgir (Bihar). Make sure to spend time exploring these Buddhist places and holy sites whether you are planning a vacation or a pilgrimage to one of these states or locations. Give Lord Buddha Wall Painting to your loved ones as a housewarming gift to give their place a spiritual touch.